Peter Ngobidi, a linebacker/defensive end from Catholic Memorial, has verbally committed to UMass.
The news comes from ESPN Boston’s Brendan Hall:
Per a source, Catholic Memorial 2013 LB/DE Peter Ngobidi committed to UMass this morning. 6-2, 215-pounder looking at either DE or OLB
— Brendan Hall (@BHallESPN) July 14, 2012
According to Rivals, the 6’1, 210-pound West Roxbury native is a two-star recruit. 247 Sports has Penn State and Rutgers as two other schools showing interest. Ngobidi was on our initial list of interested recruits.
I had a chance to speak with Hall about Ngobidi and what he brings to the program.
“He’s a quick kid off the edge with a compact frame but long arms. He played in both a two- and three-point stance last season,” Hall said. “At outside linebacker he was a nice compliment to Cam Williams in run support.”
Cam Williams, a 2012 recruit, committed to Ohio State.
Hall added that Ngobidi likely didn’t get enough credit last year because of “all the other D1 commits on the team.” He also indicated that Ngobidi is a “lock” for ESPN Boston’s All-State Team.
Ngobidi already has an acquaintance on the UMass team. A.J. Doyle, a much-discussed quarterback who committed to UMass over Maryland in 2012, played with Ngobidi at Catholic Memorial.
Ngobidi is now the third Massachusetts commit in the 2013 class. He joins Sha-ki Holines and Terrel Correia. He is also the sixth commit from New England.
Here is the updated list of committed recruits:
- Cole Ormsby, DE: Windsor HS (Conn)
- Todd Stafford, QB: Greenwich HS (Conn)
- Steven Casali, LB/RB: Sachem East HS (N.Y.)
- Sha-ki Holines, DE: Commerce HS (Mass)
- Richard Queen, OL: Bergen Catholic HC (N.J.)
- Sam Zeff, OL: Montclair High School (N.J.)
- Jordan Page, OL: The Pennington School (N.J)
- Terrel Correia, DE/OL: Nantucket High School (Mass)
- D.J. Woods, WR: University School (Fla.)
- Tyshon Henderson, OL: St. George’s School (R.I.)
- Shane Huber, LB: St. Peter’s Prep (N.J.)
- Peter Ngobidi, LB/DE: Catholic Memorial High School (Mass)