UMass picked up a verbal commitment from Josh Bruns, an offensive tackle from Bullhead City, Ariz. who has been playing for Glendale Community College. The news comes via Scout, which indicates that Bruns was on campus on Friday.
Bruns is the first JUCO commit for the 2013 class, and the only JUCO player Charley Molnar and staff have accepted a commitment from aside from punter Colter Johnson.
Florida Atlantic, Idaho State and Southeast Missouri State also offered Bruns.
In high school, the 6’5, 285-pound athlete was named second-team All-State. Scout listed him as first-team All-State and first-team All-Region. Back then he was fielding interest from Arizona, Arizona State and Northern Arizona, according to Rivals. He was also on Scout’s All-Sleeper team due to his frame.
The commitment is a bit of a head-scratcher for two reasons: 1) The Minutemen very rarely get commitments out of Arizona, especially from offensive linemen; and 2) Molnar has said in the past that UMass would not recruit junior college players. In fact, in an interview with the Maroon Musket, Molnar said: “We dont even have a coach assigned to any junior colleges. That’s not part of my vision for the football team as we move forward.”
However, with the recent departure of offensive lineman John Wallace, UMass may be in a position where it needs add depth immediately. While the Minutemen have a a deep class of offensive linemen, they will need some experience up front to compete next season.
Here is the updated list of recruits who have verbally committed:
- Cole Ormsby, DE: Windsor HS (Conn)
- Todd Stafford, QB: Greenwich HS (Conn)
- Steven Casali, LB/RB: Sachem East HS (N.Y.)
- Richard Queen, OL: Bergen Catholic HC (N.J.)
- Sam Zeff, OL: Montclair High School (N.J.)
- Jordan Page, OL: The Pennington School (N.J)
- Terrel Correia, DE/OL: Nantucket High School (Mass)
- D.J. Woods, WR: University School (Fla.)
- Tyshon Henderson, OL: St. George’s School (R.I.)
- Shane Huber, LB: St. Peter’s Prep (N.J.)
- Peter Ngobidi, LB/DE: Catholic Memorial High School (Mass)
- Enock Asante, OL/DT: Steinert High School (N.J)
- Daquan Mack, HB/FB: Pennsbury High School (Pa.)
- Nate Crutchfield, QB: Montclair High School (N.J) - preferred walk-on
- Klysmann Afonso, WR: Jireh Prep (N.C.) - walk-on
- Jackson Porter, DB: Mt. Hebron High School (Md.)
- Sharif Custis, TE: St John Neumann (Pa)
- Julian Taylor, DE: Williamstown High School (N.J.)
- Brandon Peoples, RB: Milford Academy (N.Y.)/Archbishop Wood High School (Pa.)
- Josh Bruns: OL: Glendale Community College (Ariz)
Molnar and Co. have also extended a few more scholarship offers.
Perhaps most interesting is that UMass offered Robert Davis, a 2013 running back from the Tampa Bay area who recently decommitted from Cincinnati. Davis mentioned the offer on Twitter. According to 247 Sports, Davis is a two-star recruit and holds offers from Memphis, Ball State and Bowling Green. ESPN has Davis as a three-star recruit.
Isaiah McKenzie, a 2014 wide receiver from American Heritage High school, has also reportedly picked up an offer from UMass. Check out his highlights here.
Finally, Dale Harding, a 2016 linebacker from Eastern Christian Academy in Maryland, has picked up a UMass offer. Rivals’ Shawn Brown broke the news on Twitter.