UMass named the seven recruits who are on campus for the Spring Semester. We knew about most of them, but there are a couple of new faces on the list.
The three scholarship earners are old news, and include:
All three athletes are offensive linemen. Zeff is a 2013 recruit and will count toward the 25 scholarship allotment for this recruiting cycle. Mock is a 2012 recruit who missed last year via an undisclosed injury. We have been told that Mock’s scholarship goes with the 2012 class. Bruns comes to UMass from the JUCO ranks and will be counted with the other 2013 recruits.
The other early enrollees, who are all walk-ons, include:
- Klysmann Afonso;
- Nate Crutchfield;
- DuVaughn Beckford; and
- Nick Valles
UMass indicated that Beckford is a defensive back who transferred to UMass after two years at Assumption. He graduated from Nantucket High School, which is where Terrel Correia, a multi-faceted 2013 recruit that verbally committed to UMass, hails from.
Valles is a 2012 running back from Danvers High School.
A source in the program told the Maroon Musket that the team had a meeting on Monday night and that the team will participate in voluntary workouts this week. The source indicated that there was a new hire in the strength and conditioning program but did not know who it was, yet. He said there was a good turnout for the workout sessions so far.
The Maroon Musket has also learned that Michael Dowe, Jr., a defensive lineman that we’ve talked about before, will be on campus in the fall as a walk-on.
“I am definitely going to UMass in the fall. I made up my mind for sure,” he said.
Here is the updated list of recruits who have verbally committed:
- Cole Ormsby, DE: Windsor HS (Conn)
- Todd Stafford, QB: Greenwich HS (Conn)
- Steve Casali, LB/RB: Sachem East HS (N.Y.)
- Richard Queen, OL: Bergen Catholic HC (N.J.)
- Sam Zeff, OL: Montclair High School (N.J.)
- Jordan Page, OL: The Pennington School (N.J)
- Terrel Correia, TE/OL: Nantucket High School (Mass)
- D.J. Woods, WR: University School (Fla.)
- Tyshon Henderson, OL: St. George’s School (R.I.)
- Peter Ngobidi, LB/DE: Catholic Memorial High School (Mass)
- Enock Asante, OL/DT: Steinert High School (N.J)
- Daquan Mack, HB/FB: Pennsbury High School (Pa.)
- Nate Crutchfield, QB: Montclair High School (N.J) - preferred walk-on
- Klysmann Afonso, WR: Jireh Prep (N.C.) – preferred walk-on
- Jackson Porter, DB: Mt. Hebron High School (Md.)
- Sharif Custis, TE: St John Neumann (Pa)
- Brandon Peoples, RB: Milford Academy (N.Y.)/Archbishop Wood High School (Pa.)
- Josh Bruns, OL: Glendale Community College (Ariz)
- Garrett FitzGerald, OL: Catholic Memorial High School (Mass.)/Saint Anslem College (N.H.) - preferred walk-on
- Peter Angeh, DE: Bullis School (Md.)
- Logan Laurent, K/P: Exeter High School (N.H.) - preferred walk-on
- Shaquille Harris, WR: Palmetto High School (Fla.)
- Shane Huber, LB: St. Peter’s Prep (N.J.)
- Joe Tyo, OL/DL: Dennis-Yarmouth High School (Mass) - preferred walk-on
- DuVaughn Beckford, DB: Nantucket High School (Mass)/Assumption College (Mass) - walk-on
- Nick Valles, RB: Danvers High School (Mass) - walk-on
- Michael Dowe, Jr., DL: Cromwell High School (Conn)/Western New England University - walk-on