Zeff, Crutchfield to Enroll Early

Sam Zeff and Nate Crutchfield, two Montclair High School football players who verbally committed to UMass, will graduate high school early and enroll in the university for the spring semester.

The news comes from NorthJersey.com. I also have to tip my hat to a few of our readers. They told me about Zeff’s plans to enroll early a few weeks ago.

Zeff is a big offensive lineman who recently reasserted his commitment to UMass after sources told the Maroon Musket that he was wavering: “I remain committed to UMass and its coaching staff and couldn’t be more excited about being a Minuteman,” he said. “I’ve never questioned my decision, and certainly wouldn’t allow one or two negative articles to change my position. I made a commitment to the school and I intend to honor it, with pride. Go UMass!”

Crutchfield is a preferred walk-on quarterback who will add much-needed depth to the position. According to the NorthJersey.com article, Crutchfield threw for 1,300 yards and 18 touchdowns during his senior campaign.

Zeff and Crutchfield will move to Amherst on Jan. 17. They will “begin workouts with their new teammates” on Jan. 21. The spring semester starts the following day.

1. Joe says:

What exactly is a preferred walk on?

It means that coaches tell the kid that he can, in effect, earn a scholarship after a season or two. The athlete commits under this premise. A standard walk-on does just that, he walks on without that same “guarantee” so to speak. Different coaches have different definitions, but the people I’ve spoken to give the above description.

1. Bumpa says:

Bob, have you ever been able to confirm or determine if a kid like Zeff counts against this classes scholarship total?

I know I’ve always been adamant that it would apply to another class/grouping..but am I right?

This gets into the greyshirt business, and I’m not sure if this particular situation counts. I will look into it further for you though.

1. Bumpa says:

Thanks. Just want to stop spouting crap if I am wrong.

2. Will says:

Great news! Thanks for the scoop Bob! Really looking forward to the signing day event at the ABC. Go UMass.

3. JMoore says:

Zeff sounds like he’s got what it takes to be a real leader on this team. I love how he talks about honoring ones commitments- he obviously comes from a great family and is passionate about winning. Can’t wait for this season to start!

1. Bumpa says: