There is a decent amount of recruiting news out there, and some of it comes from a football camp that UMass held during this past weekend. A few recruits with offers worked alongside guys who are looking to impress Charley Molnar and staff and pick up an offer of their own.
Here’s what we know:
- Blake Faus, a 2014 WR from Elkhart, IN, visited UMass for camp, according to to his coach, Rocky Sites. Faus is a 5’11, 160-pound athlete and has been drawing interest from a number of schools. Sites told the Maroon Musket that Faus is a slot receiver and that a UMass coach said he was “really good” and “extremely fast.” Check out the speedster’s hudl highlights here.
- Here’s a little guy making big moves. Daron Bryden, an 11-year-old quarterback from Connecticut visited UMass for camp, his father told the Maroon Musket. His dad put up a blog post about the visit. I thought this part was interesting: ”I was very impressed that UMass head coach, Charley Molnar walked up to me and introduced himself. I told him I was deaf and read lips. He said he knew I was deaf. He told me Daron was great! He told me what little things that Daron needed to fix. … On the ride home Daron told me that he would love to be a 2020 Minuteman!” Here are some of the youngster’s highlights.
- Mark Ellis, a cornerback from New Jersey who we’ve talked about a few times before, told the Maroon Musket that he was heading up to camp. Ellis is drawing interest from all over, and it sounds like he’s pretty interested in UMass. According to 247 Sports, James Madison, Pitt, Rutgers and Temple are all showing interest in the 5’10, 176-pound prospect.
- Tre Watson, an outside linebacker from the Tampa area with a UMass offer, visited Amherst. We’ve talked about this guy before. Watson mentioned his visit on Twitter. Watson is a two-star prospect and has offers from USF, Air Force, Eastern Michigan and others, according to 247 Sports.
- John Biscardi, an offensive lineman from Fleming Island, Fla., was on hand for camp. The 6’3, 270-pound recruit mentioned the visit on Twitter. Biscardi currently holds an offer from Presbyterian but is drawing interest from all over, according to Rivals. 247 Sports’ Composite has Biscardi as a three-star prospect.
- Joe Ralli, a center, defensive end and nose tackle from Good Counsel High School, was on campus this past weekend. We knew about this visit in late May, and his football team’s Twitter page mentioned the visit again last week. According to Rivals, Ralli is drawing interest from Stony Brook, Colgate and Lehigh. Check out his hudl highlights here.
In non-camp news:
- Delvon Randall, a 2014 free safety from Pennsylvania, has been offered by UMass, according to 247 Sports’ Tom Loy. Randall has already verbally committed to Temple, according to 247 Sports. Rivals has more of the same. It looks like UMass and a few other MAC schools are going to try and change Randall’s mind before signing day.
- Malik Johns, a 2014 athlete from Pasco High School in the Tampa area, picked up an offer from UMass. The news comes from the Tampa Tribune. Pasco is the alma mater of current Minuteman Trey Dudley-Giles. According to the Tribune article, Johns also has offers from FAU, Presbyterian, Samford and Appalachian State. Check out his hudl highlights here.
- Antoine White, a 2014 defensive tackle from New Jersey, picked up an offer from UMass, according to NJ.com’s Todderick Hunt. 247 Sports has a number of schools on White’s list, including Boston College, Vanderbilt, Rutgers and Michigan State. White is 6’4 and 265 pounds, and is considered one of the top 20 recruits in the Garden State, according to Rivals.
- For whatever reason, this one intrigues me. Stuart Johnson, an offensive and defensive lineman from Georgia, said on Twitter that UMass extended an offer. The 6’4, 265-pound athlete also said that William & Mary offered. There really isn’t a lot out there about this guy right now, but judging by his hudl highlights, he looks like a pretty serious – albiet raw – talent. 247 Sports reports a number of offers, but most are from smaller FCS schools. I’m interested to see what happens with this guy.
Follow Bob on twitter: @BobMcGovernJr